Saturday, November 10, 2012

Realization of the Self that is Free from Sense of I-ness



Realization of the Self that is Free from Sense of I-ness
(Meinpan se Rahit Swaroop ka Anubhav)




Shree Hari


For every aspirant it is very essential to become free from the sense of "I-ness" (egoism) and "mine-ness." The reason is that the sense of "I" and "mine" is semblance by which the embodied soul (jeev) gets bound -

Mein arum or tor tain maya

Jehin bas keenhe jeev nikaya (Manasa, Aranya 15/2)

"I" and "Mine", "You" and "Yours" is the delusion which has captivated all Jeevas of the entire universe.

"Mein mere ki jevari, gal bandhyo sansaar |
Daas kabeeraa kyon bandhe jaake raam adhaar ||"

"I and mine is the chain which has tied the world, but why should saint Kabira come within that chain who has taken abode in Ram"

In Srimad Bhagavadgita, God in the Disciplines of Action (Karmayoga), Knowledge (Jnanayoga) and Devotion (Bhaktiyoga), has insisted in all the three yogas, the necessity of becoming free from the sense of mine and egoism.

In Karmayoga -

"Nirmamo nirahankaarah sa shaantimmadhigacchyati" (Gita 2/71)

"He being free from the sense of mine and egoism attains peace."

In Jnanayoga -

"Ahankaaram … vimuchya nirmamah shaanto brahmabhooyaaya kalpate" (Gita 18/53)
"Free from egotism and mine-ness, he rests in comprehensive Brahma."

In Bhaktiyoga -

"Nirmamo nirahankaarah samudukhah kshami" (Guta 12/13)
"Free from ego and free from sense of mine, he is balanced both in pain and pleasure."

In this respect one aspect of which the aspirant has to give more attention is that the real self is free from egoism and mine-ness. "I" and "Mine" are not real, both of them have been falsely presumed to be our own self. If these were truly real, then we could never become free from the sense of "I" and "mine" and God would not have talked about being free from egoism and mine-ness. It is only because of this that God has mentioned to be free from egoism and mine-ness.

What is "I"?

This is the experience of every man that "I am". This "I am" is the combination of physical and divine elements (i.e. the perishable and immortal elements which is called the knot of both elements (chijjadagranthi).

Although there appears to be the prominence of "I" in this combination and "am" appears to be supplementary (secondary), but if it is viewed from a real angle, then the prominent among the two is "Is" (existential part of this combination) and not "I". The reason being that "I" gets changed but "am" does not change. For example "I am a child", "I am a young person", I am an old man' "I am sick". "I am healthy". In all these states "I" changes but "am" does not change. "Am" remains the same without undergoing any modification. "I" stands as part of Nature and "am" is a part of God. This "am" is an indicator of the existence. It is because of "I" that "am" is used. If "I" does not co-exist then "am" shall not remain at all, but "id" will remain. That "is" is a universal existence. It is due to the presence of "I" that unipresent "am" appears to us to exist.

"I", "you", "this" and "that" - in all the four, "am" is used only with "I", with the remaining three "is" is only associated as "you are (is), "this is" and "that is". We can say to infinite beings from times immemorial as "is" that "these are living beings". Earth, heaven, hell (the lower infernal regions) - all universes can be said as "is". All the four ages of Hindu time period - Satyayug, Tretayuga, Dwaparyug and Kaliyug can be called as "is". But the speaker who says "I" always remains one. In the present day language, all the votes go with "is", the "I" obtains only one single vote.

"I" is a physical element and "am" is a divine element. "I" and "am" - both mix and identify with each other and this identity of them is Chijjadagranthi. The clear proof of this reality is that we desire bliss which exists eternally and at the same time we desire perishable sensual pleasures and accumulation of material things. These two categories reflect the identification of "I" and "am" elements.

From book "For Salvation of Mankind" by Swami Ramsukhdasji

Ram Ram


*********************************************************
If in doubt regarding the translation, please read the original Hindi message by Swamiji.


FOR MESSAGE IN HINDI PLEASE VISIT Date : 3rd November, 2012 (Meinpan se Rahit Swaroop ka Anubhav) at http://www.satcharcha.blogspot.com/

****************************************