Sunday, September 25, 2011


Ashwin Krishna Trayodashi, Ravivar, Vikram Samvat 2068


There is No Delay in Attaining Spiritual Enlightenment



(continued)
Listener:   Maharajji, what you say is rational and convincing.    But after seeing the condition of my mind, my inner senses, I get totally perturbed because I see all my inner shortcomings, of being hollow within! 

Swamiji:  Now, all of you listen attentively to what I am about to say.  Are the inner senses an instrument or the agent (doer)?  They are the instrument.   Spiritual enlightenment can't be attained by means or instruments.  Had it been attained by any means such as inner sense etc.,  I would have agreed with you.  But it can't be attained by any means.  What is attained by means is that which you have to construct or to bring from somewhere or to take somewhere or to change it.  An instrument works only when something is modified by action.   That which cannot be modified or changed, in that the instrument is of no use. But spiritual enlightenment needs no instruments such as inner senses etc.  You have to renounce affinity with the instrument (karan).  O' Brothers!  That which has to be let go, what is the purpose of purifying it or impurifying it?  If it is pure,  it has to be let go, and if it is impure, it has to be let go.    So it does not make any difference whether it is pure or impure. 

Listener – Maharajji!  If I find the marks of the person who has transcended the three modes of Nature in me as "he regards pain and pleasure alike and dwells in his own self"  (Gita 14/24) or the marks of a devotee who has attained perfection as "he has no ill will to any being."  (Gita 12/13) etc.,  I may feel that my inner sense has become pure otherwise I feel that I have made no spiritual progress. 

Swamiji  -  I again explain to you what I explained last  night.  I think that you also have faith and believe that I don't cheat you. 

Listener:  Yes Maharajji, I believe in you. 
Swamiji: So,  I tell you that you can attain spiritual enlightenment just now even if you are the vilest sinner. This fact is not only applicable to me but also to you.  Had it been true only for me, why would I tell it to you?  This point is for you, as well as, it is for me.  It is for both of us.  However many sins and degree of sins we may have accumulated, has nothing to do with this.  Wisdom (of distinguishing the real from the unreal) destroys all sins. 

Listener: Maharajji,  sinful thoughts arise in the mind.  What should I do? 

Swamiji:  Let sinful thoughts and bad projections come to your mind.  Simply accept this one point that I am conveying.  If sinful thoughts come to the mind,  let them come;  if bad resolves come to the mind, let them come! Don't be afraid of them, ignore them.  Don't make them the touchstone or balance of your spiritual progress.  They are transitory, they can't stay, they will be reduced to ashes automatically.  Sinful conduct depends on the agent rather than on the instrument.  Therefore you need not worry (grieve) if the instrument is not pure.If the agent becomes pure, the instrument will  automatically become purified. Think over it – how can the instrument remain impure if the agent is pure?  If you are writing correctly, will the pen write it incorrectly?  The pen is merely an instrument while you are the agent.  The Gita mentions "api chedasi" (even if you are so) .  Gita does not say that "even if the instrument is so".  

(to be continued)  
From book "Ease of God Realization" in English by Swami Ramsukhdasji.
====================================
If in doubt regarding the translation, please read the original Hindi message by Swamiji.
====================================
FOR MESSAGE IN HINDI PLEASE VISIT
Date : 23rd September, 2011 – Bhagwat Praapti ki Sugamta 


***********************************
IF YOU HAVE BENEFITED FROM THESE MESSAGES, KINDLY FORWARD TO OTHERS.

Ram Ram