Monday, September 10, 2012

To Sannyaasi Sadhaks and Devotional Singers

 To Sannyaasi Sadhaks and Devotional Singers
A Humble Submission

Shree Hari
(This article was first published in the 9th year of Kalyaana in 1934. At present time seeing that it will be most useful, it is being published here)

By the grace and permission of the Almighty Lord and His devotees, today, over here, I am trying to express in writing, those feelings that are appealing to me, pertaining to the conduct of sanyaasi sadhaks and devotional singers (loud chanting). Though I do not regard myself entitled to write and deliver sermons and directions, nor am I myself able to follow the same conduct fully, yet I am trying to discuss some noble thoughts and conduct of saints and scriptures which I revere. Therefore I find it my good fortune and worthwhile to take some time in discussing this matter. I hope my fellow seekers shall also express their thoughts from time to time, because by this I shall get an opportunity to read their views and those brothers shall also be able to spend some time in spiritual discussions. If some learned thinkers find some faults in the thoughts expressed by me, which I have learnt from the utterances of saints and scriptures, I hope they shall pardon me, by regarding me as their own ignorant child.

The seekers should make every effort to keep themselves apart (separate) from ecstacy, regrets (mourning), passion and anger etc. At least they should not be overpowered by them. Out of them, seekers like me should be fearful of attachment and aversion to money and women in the same way as generally people are afraid of ghosts, evil spirits, snakes and wild animals etc. It is to be understood that the moment a sannyasi devotee is infatuated and attached to woman and money, that very same moment he has taken a fall.

It should never be presumed that attachment, aversion, passion and fear etc., are the nature of the inner senses. It is not nature, rather it is a disorder (deterioration). He who regards them as nature of the inner senses, continues to treat them as inevitable till the end of life, because the inner sense remains intact. Consequently, inspite of regarding himself to be wise, he accepts that likes-dislikes, passion and anger etc., shall continue to exist as long as the inner senses exist, and he is not at all related to them. Actually this thinking is an illusion. One who thinks so and does not try to overcome attachment-aversion (likes-dislikes), passion and anger etc., he is far from being wise, as a matter of fact, he is not even a real sadhak.

It is to be firmly understood that evils like passion and anger never remain with a truly realized person. A person may be a good orator who can describe the Supreme in beautiful words based on the citations of scriptures and also who can write logical articles on the real knowledge but it is not necessary that he is a genuine knower of the Truth. All these qualities may be acquired by reading scriptures. The role of Sukhadeva may be played by anyone in a drama. The wise is the one who has fully crossed the ocean of ignorance. Likes-dislikes, passion and anger are part of ignorance alone, these cannot exist in real knowledge. (to be continued)
From book "Is Salvation Not Possible without a Guru?" by Swami Ramsukhdasji
Ram Ram

*********************************************************
If in doubt regarding the translation, please read the original Hindi message by Swamiji.
FOR MESSAGE IN HINDI PLEASE VISIT Date : 3rd September, 2012 ( Sannyasi Sadhak ko aur Kirtankaaronse Namra Nivedan ) http://www.satcharcha.blogspot.in

****************************************